Free Cooper Union is going all Wikileaks on Cooper Union’s board. For the next seven days, the anti-tuition student group plans to release previously classified board information, posting that information on their blog and Facebook page. So far, the documents already leaked run the gamut from luxury spending mishaps to advocating for the termination of the fine arts department. Not a pretty picture.
For a closer look at just what Free Cooper Union has pulled out of the board’s cauldron of whoopsies, on the first day of leaks, the group leaked “The Dream Scenario” (cue the heavenly music), a Powerpoint-style slide presentation by the Trustee Reinvention Committee released in February 2013.
The current dream, the committee states, is wrong. In order to get back to Cooper Union founder Peter Cooper’s original charter they plan to:
- “Phase out the current fine arts program.”
- Replace that program with a School of Design “for instruction in art or trade that would furnish ‘suitable employment.’”
- “Invest in architecture to make it (the jewel) to make it the best in the world.”
- “Project-based learning overseas”
- Build on Peter Cooper’s vision, not the “contemporary narrative.”
- Start charging students tuition.
That’s just day one. Though these documents might not be able to steer free-tuition back in place—for the first time in over a hundred years, the board began charging for tuition this fall semester—they do make the college seem like a tornado of bureaucratic mismanagement.
Next on the group’s plans: a public reading of leaked board documents at e-flux this Sunday, November 24th from 6 – 9 PM.