Random Miami Notes
A view of the beach from the Ritz Carton. Photo AFC
Aqua and Scope reviews are in the queue, but in the meantime, a few art fair observations.
- Overall the hotel as a venue seems to be dwindling in popularity, a positive fair trend.
- This is pure speculation, but Art Basel seems to be moving away from showcasing emerging galleries and art. A dealer recently wondered whether they might try to double in size and absorb some of the smaller fairs though I think that’s unlikely for a number of reasons, namely that they have a three year contract with the Convention Center, and rumor has it they are discontinuing the containers.
- Contemporary art trends include: skull art, goopy painting, Barry McGee inspired art, 3-D printing technology, naked Asian girls, penises in buckets (spotted at Basel and Aqua South Beach).
- The worst traffic known to man on account of the fact that no one seemed to think that placing all those fairs on a super narrow street in Wynwood might cause a few problems. Also, people here drive like assholes.
- The Miami scam: Scary stories abound about restaurants that don’t tell you their drinks cost twenty bucks each, and charge the same for a sandwich. Cab rates vary based on what hotel you’re staying at and how much they think they can hose you for.
- Taco Bell on 36th street. You might get away with eating there once, but twice is pushing it. Only the Taco Supreme is safe.
- Stayed in a hotel that provided only one bed sheet and it wasn’t fitted. It also had a plush headboard nailed to the wall. However, the price is right, it’s very close to Wynwood, and they provide complimentary parking. Next time I’ll bring my own sheets.