POST BY PADDY JOHNSON
Google image search results for the term assemblage.
Wednesday’s post about crap on crap art prompted a comment thread no one here wants to revisit, but it did generate material worth reposting. As such we’re highlighting artist Tom Moody’s comment (and post) listing possible reasons why assemblage appeals to the art world right now.
1. Everybody's broke and there's always an abundance of trash.
2. Six years of art education teaches that high art is dead so everyone takes the low road.
3. Disgust with capitalism and consumer culture.
5. Genuine love of trash culture and its byproducts.
6. Avoidance of known art materials.
7. A way to make formal arrangements of things without being called “Greenbergian.”
8. A way to be political without sloganeering.
9. Genuine interest in the lineage of Schwitters/Rauschenberg—-considering it an unfinished project.
10. New trash (web and technology cast-offs) necessitates new ways of arranging trash (and new content unknown to Rauschenberg, et al).