Art Fag City invites you to apply to its Editorial Fellowship program. What is it? A fancy title for an internship. It’s also:
A crash course in the New York art landscape. Editorial training for emerging writers. Your work on the city’s best art blog. But most importantly, a bright future alongside other AFC alums, many of whom have gone on to write for ArtInfo, The New York Observer, and Animal New York. They curate major exhibitions. They become well-respected artists. They sometimes even join our staff.
We only expect fellows to come in two days per week, we’ll edit your work rigorously, and this is a hell of a lot more practical than most grad school classes. It’s also fun!
Here at AFC we all wear a lot of hats, so we welcome Fellows with a diverse skill set. We each often handle jobs that are above and sometimes below our respective skill sets. Get ready to roll up your sleeves.
You will work directly with AFC Director Paddy Johnson on all aspects of the blog. This involves copy editing content, digital image management, project-based research, basic invoicing and data entry, helping put together events, along the lines of our Art Fag City Rob Pruitt Art Awards and Auction*or the Art Fag City Wienerfest, grant research and post office runs.
Who We Are
Art Fag City is a New York-based art blog dedicated to providing exposure to emerging contemporary art and under-known artists. We believe that engaging in smart, critical debate helps us better define and shape the world we want, and that creative production of all forms is essential. To quote the experts:
“New York’s Best Art Blog” — The Village Voice
“New York’s Best Art Blog” — Times Online
“What you do is great, if somewhat misguided” — Adam Lindemann
Who You Are
- Organized. Please be organized.
- Interested and invested in Contemporary art. Points to those who have a knowledge that extends beyond New York.
- A self-starter. You can identify problems on your own and solve them.
- Reliable. You follow through on projects, are dedicated and arrive on time.
- Language Lover. You laugh in the face of art speak. You don’t produce any of your own. You understand the rules of grammar and take great care to employ them.
- Internet obsessed. You have way too many friends. You read way too many blogs. It’s a problem…except here.
- Graphically inclined. You have a good sense of design and want to show it off.
- Funny. You have a sense of humor and like to show that off too.
- An AFC Reader. Familiar with AFC’s content is absolutely essential.
Fellows must work two days a week. This is an unpaid position, but any AFC related travel is paid for, and you’ll occasionally get a free lunch. We’re also happy to do any necessary paperwork if you’re doing a for-credit internship.
We’re at the AFC office from 10 a.m – 6:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. You may be required to attend after hours events.
How to Apply
- Tell us what you’re looking for in an internship, and why you want to work at AFC.
- Use the subject line: “AFC Intern, Last Name, First Name” and send your email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Let us know your preferred start date and which days/times you’d be available. (Make sure this works with our hours as described above.)
- Include your resume. (That can be an attachment, but remember, your cover letter goes in the body of the email.)
- Two writing samples.
- Also include a link to your website or examples of design, or anything else you’ve created that you think we should see.
Application deadline: Friday, January 25th.