[Editors note: IMG MGMT is an artist essay series highlighting the diversity of curatorial processes within the art making practice. Stephanie Diamond, today’s invited artist exhibits her work internationally and nationally and maintains the website stephaniediamond.com]
DO ATTEMPT THIS AT HOME
Congratulations! You have been selected to be part of the exhibition, Do Attempt This at Home. Please follow the simple instructions below for the exhibition. Thank you and good luck!
1. How do you feel?
2. Pull out your cell phone.
3. Set it to camera mode.
4. Take a picture.
5. Do you look like how you feel?
6. Do you look like a different feeling?
7. If satisfied, save picture.
8. If not satisfied, erase and re-shoot your photo until it reflects the feeling you want to evoke.
9. Refer to these photos in the future to remember how you felt and feel.
10. Repeat these steps, as needed.
11. Take some pretty pictures sometimes too, i.e.: clouds, totem poles, pools, beaches, and trees.
12. Take some shots of people you like as well.
13. Save these people pictures as photo ID’s, and when these people call you their photos will come up.
You cannot erase any photos of children.
All of the photos you take can only exist on your cell phone; they cannot be downloaded onto your computer.
You can text message these photos; I encourage this to be done with the majority of your texts.
If someone sends you a text message; you can upload it to your phone, but her/his name must be mentioned when exhibiting the image.
Share your exhibition with others.
Keep your exhibition for private viewing only.
See below for examples of Do Attempt This at Home. These 33 images were selected out of 108 photos taken over the course of three years on one cell phone.