POST BY: PADDY JOHNSON
R.B. Kitaj, If Not, Not, 1975-76 Oil on canvas
- Jonathan Jones (or his editor) comes up with this doozy of a headline: Did Art Critics Kill RB Kitaj? I wasn’t in the scene when Kitaj received the bulk of his bad press, but I’m inclined to think that if Robert Longo survived being blamed for the 80′s, then maybe it wasn’t just the critics that drove Kitaj and his wife to their death. Via: Two Coats of Paint
- Rhizome’s annual fundraising drive comes to a close in 5 days. There’s still time to help them reach their $30,000 goal.
- From The Onion: Internet Archeologists Find Ruins of “Friendster” Civilization. Via: CPB
- Will the news of Lady Gaga’s artistic “genius” never stop? Gaga is to 1010 what Hirst was to 2009. I guess this means cash and imminent overexposure. My money’s on Hirst as the fall guy for the millennium though. More on Gaga’s fame here. The inevitable internet meme here. Via: C-monster
- Check this out: An online exhibition titled Reply All in which five artists engage in visual dialogues. Consider this a more structured version of what most artists already do on Facebook. Daniel Barrow begins with a bizarre telemarketing phone call (or whatever it is), Divya Mehra responds with looped footage of a child explaining that art is for losers, Shaan Syed posts a twirling flower video and Barrow’s retort is a peanuts comic strip beginning with the words “You never listen”. The exchange goes on like this, with a number of acerbic animated gif highlights from Lorna Mills. Peter Morin plays the boring guy we all ignore at parties.