Where: Otto’s Shrunken Head
538 E 14th St, New York, NY 10009
When: Tuesday March 15, 6-10 PM
Honoring: Carol Cole Levin
Benefit Chair: Marsha Owett
Tickets: Basic Beaches: Artist tickets: $75, General admission: $150, Ticket for an artist: $75 Private Islands (get your own table!): Individual tickets: $600, 2 tickets: $1000, 4 tickets: $1800. Pick them up here!
Where: Otto’s Shrunken Head
Bruce High Quality Foundation University (BHQFU) is our kind of institution. Who else would offer, MFU, a new year-long residency touted as a “DEBT-FREE AND DEGREE-FREE” program with a name that gives the traditional MFA the middle finger. And it’s a big one at that. The program offers 24/7 access to personal studios, a teaching curriculum in which artists design their own course to teach, and public programming opportunities. It’s the definition of self-guided education that avoids the homogenized product of MFA programs, while responding to the digital age. Today, countless virtual resources are at our finger tips, yet space and time often remain illusive.
Last Friday, the Internet Archive officially opened the Malware Museum. Organized by cybersecurity expert and curator Mikko Hypponen, the online museum contains malware programs from the 1980s and 1990s that home computer users would encounter when their desktops had been infected by a virus. Thanks to a DOS emulator, contemporary internet users can now safely experience computer virus infections from over 20 years ago sans the originally debilitating effects.
During this hallmark week in which we celebrate our love for our partners, what romance is the art world serving up? Nothing we’ve listed, save for an anti-gentrification protest at the Metropolitan Museum of Art this Valentine’s Day. In fact, it seems the entire week has been taken over by activists. From the Act Up—Dyke Action Machine talk at The 8th Floor to the Affordable Housing Show at Hunter, there’s plenty of discussion about how to make change.
Meanwhile, those with a sense of humor should balance all this seriousness out. Between Jayson Musson and Sean Patrick J Carney at SVA tonight to Larissa Valez-Jackson’s improv dance comedy at DANCEROULETTE this Thursday, you’ve got plenty of events to fill up your calendar.
It’s been a long day here at AFC, so no art GIFs. Given all the ridiculous white people rage today over Beyonce’s new video and Super Bowl performance, we did however, think this GIF was an appropriate end to the day.
- I gotta say, the new Beyonce video “Formation” (dirty) is pretty incredible. Pretty amazing to see such a political video played at the Super Bowl. [The Internet]
- The Hauser & Wirth in Los Angeles sounds like it will be a sight to behold. It’s 100,000 square feet—the size of a Home Depot—and will be modeled off the Kunsthalle — a nonc-ollecting art museum. Except, of course, that this gallery will sell art. Curator and partner Paul Schimmel is organizing the first show, which will be a historic survey of women working in sculpture. [Culture: High & Low]
- According to Knoedler & Company’s accountant, apart from the sale of the fakes, the company did not make money. [artnet News]
- Speaking the Knoedler & Company, Ann Freedman, the former president of New York’s Knoedler gallery has settled a lawsuit with collectors Domenico and Eleanore De Sole over the sale of a forged Mark Rothko purchased from Knoedler in 2004. The piece sold for $8.3 million. The terms have not been disclosed. [Artnews]
- Quote of the year:
So since Hillary cannot yell, since by the virtue of being sane and not a white man she is forced to be the biggest adult in the room, just like Obama has had to for eight goddamn years, I will yell for her.
FIRST AND FUCKING FOREMOST, COOL, YOU LIKE BERNIE’S WISHES AND DREAMS APPROACH TO POLITICS. “FREE COLLEGE FOR EVERYONE AND A GODDAMN PONY.” YES, THAT SOUNDS FUCKING WONDERFUL BUT DO YOU THINK HILLARY COULD EVEN SAY THOSE WORDS WITHOUT FOX NEWS LITERALLY BURYING HER ALIVE IN TAMPONS AND CRUCIFIXES? [Pajiba via: Hyperallergic]
- Leave it to Hyperallergic to create the longest, most comprehensive link list of art news out there. Say good-bye to your afternoon [Hyperallergic]
- A round up of Super Bowl ads. [It’s Nice That]