- Someone is using Beastie Boy Mike D’s uniquely-styled Cobble Hill townhouse as a set for Tumblr porn. [Gothamist]
- Oh! Apparently the Tumblr couple are art lovers as well. Here’s a sort-of-SFW post with photos of their bums in the impressionist gallery at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. [ourpublicprivates]
- There is a really strange modernist floating McDonalds abandoned off the coast of Vancouver. Someone please buy/steal this for us so we can have the coolest office/studio/party house in the history of art/maritime fast food. [She Budgets]
- The Internet is abuzz with conspiracy theories surrounding the Bilderberg Conference, a secretive meeting of the world’s most rich and powerful in the Austrian countryside surrounded by armed guards. When I looked for a reputable news source to find out what this is really about, I found this uncharacteristically sensational BBC video… so I guess we really should be getting ready for the New World Order takeover. [BBC News]
- Dasha Zhukova, founder of the Garage Museum of Contemporary Art in Moscow on the institution’s new Rem Koolhaas building and the Russian public’s softening skepticism about contemporary art. [Bloomberg]
- Canadian PM Stephen Harper visited the Vatican. He and the pope talked about the environment and the abuses of Canada’s indigenous population in Catholic boarding schools. [CBC]
- A German artist who goes by the name “1010” has painted a massive crater in the périphérique, the loathed beltway that separates Paris from its working class suburbs. [designboom]
- Ai Weiwei is having his first solo exhibition in China since his 2011 detention by the state. [International Business Times]
- If you’ve ever wanted to own a Tracey Emin, now is your chance. The artist will be selling artwork priced under £1,000 out of the trunk of a car. [Event Magazine]
This glorious GIF first appeared three years ago on the Brooklyn-based blog Best Roof Talk Ever with the genius quote: “Let 2012 be remembered as the year we brought the mid-nineties back to life with overpriced tickets to 3D renderings of things I thought I forgot about.”
The blogger, Nick Divers, is of course referring to the 2012 resurrection of murdered 90s rapper Tupac Shakur as a hologram performing to concert-goers. That year, the 1997 blockbuster Titanic (itself a nostalgic look back on 1912) was also re-released as a pricey 3D experience.
Is the technology of the future always destined to resurrect the past? It’s 2015 and I’m blogging about a GIF from 2012 about holograms from the 1990s about steamships from 1912 named after mythical beasts from ancient Greece.
Maybe in the 24th century a nostalgic Starfleet officer will recreate this very moment on the holodeck. In the 1990s, Star Trek characters were, after all, obsessed with holographic recreations of the past.
Yesterday, we looked at BIG’s vaguely Blade-Runner proposal for the new 2 WTC tower. In the spirit of critiquing the skyline of the future, here are some gorgeously detailed animations from the architect/writer Liam Young’s “New City” series. Each depicts a different hypothetical dystopia based on current trends—from Samsung’s recent expansion into the real estate industry to the massive data storage farms popping up on the fringes of suburbia. Young invited authors to write short stories set in each of these fictional locales which are available on his Vimeo account along with longer animation loops. If you’re an enthusiast of urban theory or science fiction, have fun navigating Young’s website Tomorrow’s Thoughts Today which is packed with essays and renderings imagining what the megacities we’ll likely all be living in someday will look like.
Truly one of the most captivating GIFs of all time, one could stare at this butt forever and still have so many questions. Namely, where did it come from? A quick reverse-Google-image-search yielded no information other than the name “Hypno Butt”. It has circulated everywhere from Turkish humor chat rooms to Dutch soccer hooligan message boards. Whose butt is this? A strange zebra/woman hybrid melting into the alternate Earth she inhabits? A young man standing alone in a dark hotel room, caressed only by headlights from a freeway penetrating Venetian blinds? An ideal sexless figure born from pure achromatic light who would turn around to reveal nothing but another equally perfect ass in place of vulgar genitalia? We may never know. Perhaps a butt this beautiful could only have been born from the very internet itself, like Aphrodite emerging from the sea.
Hypno Butt, we salute you.
*If anyone has any clues as to the origins of the GIF, please let us know in the comments.