- The not-so-secret secrets of the Art Basel art fair: “Once the fair starts, jurors arrive each morning at 8 to make sure that galleries that have sold items the day before do not replace the empty spaces on their walls with inferior art. If they have, dealers could be shown the door.” But, I wonder, have dealers ever been kicked out of Art Basel? Anyone know? [The New York Times]
- In advance of the Doctor Strange movie, set for a 2016 theatrical release, Marvel Comics has reinvented the character within its pages. One new detail? The Sorcerer Supreme is going to have a really big axe. [IGN via Entertainment Weekly]
- Kant is experiencing a revival (maybe). Apologists for the philosopher have appeared in the summer issue of Artforum, as well as in Why Grow Up?, a new book by philosopher Susan Neiman. [Artforum, The New York Times]
- After weeks of protest, MoMA union members approve a new contract. [Hyperallergic]
- Artist Jordan Eagles has created a sculpture out of the blood of nine gay men in order to protest the FDA’s lifetime ban on gay and bisexual men from donating blood. [YouTube]
- A missing penguin has been found. But a tiger and hyena are still on the loose! [Associated Press]
- Those “pancakes and booze” art events are still taking place, I guess. [Craigslist]
- Something I read this morning because it came up in my feed: “Emulate Pixar: The Way Forward for Christian Movies.” [Patheos]
- Curator Lauren Cornell has been promoted to a senior management post at the New Museum. Congrats! [New Museum]
Two of the best GIF genres are puppies and futuristic shit. This GIF combines both. According to The Next Web, this sassy dachshund’s name is Lolli, and she’s wearing the Disco Dog LED vest. The $300+ pet accessory is controlled by a smartphone app using Bluetooth and raised $22,757 on Kickstarter. Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like the project is producing more vests beyond the 45 manufactured for the original backers of the project. All other pet owners who want life to be more like a Daft Punk video, you’re out of luck.
by Paddy Johnson Michael Anthony Farley Corinna Kirsch on June 22, 2015 · Events
Last night’s hotly anticipated debut of True Detective’s second season on HBO was really confusing. Of course, fans of the show expect to have no idea what is going on with the series’ convoluted plots, but one scene in particular caught us off guard. Colin Farrell and company paid a visit to a supposed kidnapping victim’s house and found his collection of misogynistic contemporary art pretty disturbing. Ick. We did a little detective work of our own to find out more about the shudder-inducing curatorial preferences of (potential?) murder suspects.
Submit a subway-inspired GIF to “Animating Transit,” an exhibition inspired by the trains New Yorkers love (and love to hate). You have until Sunday, June 21 at midnight to see your GIF in the online and offline exhibition, so hurry! Here’s all the deets.
But what if I don’t have any ideas for GIFs about the subway?
Of course you do! New York City’s subways are incredible. They’re the best option we have for getting around the city. And they’re full of history. Sure, there’s delays, overcrowding, and the occasional signal problem. But you never know what’s going to happen!
Will the 7 train be delayed—again? Maybe you’ll sit next to someone eating sticky, gooey BBQ wings without abandon. And what about the rats! So exciting.
For those of you who like GIFs, but don’t make them can come out to celebrate for the one-night PLATFORM event held the night of June 24 at the Transit Museum (a museum that’s located underground inside an abandoned subway). It’ll feature several screenings, exhibitions, and performances, with clowns, prayer beads, and dancing. See the full schedule here. Get $5 off when you enter the AFCREATE discount code at checkout.
Here at the blog we’ve been talking about the trend of making stage sets for digital-looking art that is actually made out of simple materials. Voila, a cardboard-made set for “Gumshoe Follies,” a play of sorts which, by looking at Xenoself’s Tumblr, seems to involve human-headed gonads. Ummmmm…