A look back at AFC’s most popular posts reveals good news and bad news. On the one hand, our second most popular page of the year proves that, yes, intelligent reviews do have a place on the web: readers can’t get enough of our Recommended Shows. On the other, this page was trumped only in numbers by Whitney Kimball’s post Streaming Hot Sex Video Games. Clearly, porn and video games remain an enduring interest on the web.
As we embark on our year end fundraising campaign, I urge you to page through these posts below and take a look at some of the discussion here. We spend a lot of time producing posts we think are valuable, and we want to do more of that. Your donations help make that happen.
1. Streaming Hot Sex Video Games – Whitney Kimball
Playing advice: When in doubt “guess penis” plus a gift guide for friends who are total assholes.
2. Recommended Shows – Whitney Kimball, Will Brand, Paddy Johnson, Christopher Schreck
The review section of the blog! A few favorites; Carsten Holler at The New Museum, Neo Rauch and Michaël Borremans at David Zwirner, and Francis AlÃ¿s at MoMA
3. AFC's Work of Art Season Two Supplementary Program Guide: Whitney Kimball, Will Brand. Work of Art Season 2 wasn’t all that great, but who cares. These biographies are great fun to write and lend a bit of insight on the show before it begins. Best pre-show assessment: The Sucklord is like 80% of what's good about Work of Art.
4. Parsing Patrick Cariou v. Richard Prince: The Copyright Infringement Ruling – Paddy Johnson
A break down Judge Deborah Batts’ insanely bad ruling in the Patrick Cario v. Richard Prince case.
5. Is Christian Marclay's “The Clock” Too Easy? – Will Brand
Well, was it? Mr. Brand seems to think so.
6. Should I Get An MFA? – Paddy Johnson
Is an MFA worth your money? A pros and cons chart. I still lean towards no on this one.
7. Hennessy Youngman Compares Contracting Herpes and Experiencing Relational Aesthetics – Paddy Johnson
Relational Aesthetics, explained.
9. Terrible Gallery Websites: 5 Years On – Will Brand
Will Brand slammed four galleries and a design firm, all of which still look EXACTLY THE SAME. Get it together people. That’s right Pace — I’m looking at you.
10. The AFC Guide to Disliking Laurel Nakadate Without Hating Women – Corinna Kirsch
The panties are fine, her statements are not.
Bonus: Stop mentioning Andy Warhol.
A plague amongst art writers with nothing to say.